Tuesday 10 November 2009

Freebies alert!

Freebies. Everyone loves freebies: whether it be ‘the toy’ from the cereal packet when you were a kid (or maybe you secretly still get the cereal for the toy, I won’t tell anyone); ‘surprises’ from your mobile phone dealer; or a £10 gift token for going to a 2 hour meeting; if there is something extra thrown it, then we go for it - well at least I do anyway, whether that makes me a good bargain hunter, easily swayed or just a vulture, I don’t know.

I used to be with Vodaphone, but back then they didn’t give you any ‘benefits’ for being with them; then I discovered O2 who seem to load you with ‘extras’ all the time, it’s great! I know they only want my business, but it definitely builds them a good reputation – I certainly went with them because everyone always enthused about them.

I am staying in halls at the moment, and last month there was a ‘quarterly meeting’ held by the staff in order to get feedback from the residents; not the most exciting way to spend an evening, but they were giving out £10 HMV vouchers to the first 20 people to show up. Yes I went, and felt bad, but it was actually quite interesting and I will probably go next time regardless. I like the fact that I had something to contribute to the running of the place, and that my opinions and views can influence and change things; but why should it take free things to persuade people to go?

Giving is really important. There’s a proverb which says: “Give freely and become more wealthy; be stingy and lose everything.” And, “The generous will prosper; those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed.” This doesn’t always appear to be the case, but it’s not always all about materialism, it’s about who you are and who you are becoming.

Something I wrestle with a lot is things like Comic Relief and Live Aid. I think it is really good that lots of people get together and support a common cause, and I’m sure it does a lot of good, but you can’t just blast away poverty in one lump sum: remember them saying, “Let’s end poverty?” Nice thought, but sorry it just doesn’t work like that.
The media blast us with pictures of poor children in Africa, and yea, it makes you feel bad and overwhelmed by the whole situation, but sometimes it feels like people use charity events as a band aid for the guilt; “Oh yea I give to charity, I bought a red nose this year, did you know they raised millions?” And then you somehow feel that you’ve done something major, but in fact it was a cumulative effort, and in fact you only gave £2. Besides, this amount doesn’t even begin to sort out the world’s economic imbalance.

I’m not saying that these one off events aren’t good and don’t help at all, and even giving a little bit is better than nothing, but I just don’t think they are enough. I can’t say I’m the greatest shining example of a philanthropist because I am often very selfish, but I don’t want to be someone who just says, “Isn’t it awful,” and then turns away and justifies it by giving my £2 each year.
I support and believe that the best thing we can do is - through various organisations - support individuals in developing countries through regular donations. I have been doing this for about 3 years now; it costs the same amount I top up my phone each month, and also involves writing to and receiving letters (and sometimes photos) from the sponsored person. They are in turn able to go to school, and are provided with medical care and other essentials (things we can take for granted).
I have sometimes found it really hard (like when I was in college and had no income) and I have on numerous occasions almost cancelled it, and yea I sometimes just have no idea what I should write back, like when the child writes, “Thanks for the Christmas present, I had a great time and was able to get a new pair of shoes.” Sometimes it all still seems so plain insignificant, but when I see the photos and read the letters and see what my little is doing to change someone’s life, it helps me remember that one person can make a difference in someone else life, and perhaps that person will in turn group up caring deeply for others around them and work to see change in their communities and countries because they realise that they also can do something for others. Not to mention what they might become in the future through the doors opened up to them through their education.

Granted we have our fair share of poverty here as well and I’m not ignoring that, but ending poverty is not just a one off payment: it’s a commitment. Imagine what could be done if every ONE person in the developed nations supported ONE person in the developing nations? YOU can make a difference.

www.actionaid.org.uk
www.compassionuk.org

“We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean, but the ocean would be less because of that missing drop. “
- Mother Teresa -

No comments:

Post a Comment